Open Letter to Terrelle Pryor

February 29, 2008

uo-mu.jpg

Here is me: Duck fan (University of Oregon, not Anaheim).
Oregon’s Offense: Spread/Read Option; enticing to ‘Dual-Threat’ QB’s (read: good College QB’s ? unemployed NFL QB’s)

Look, I’m glad Dennis Dixon carried us to a #2 ranking and a date in the National Title game, even though he busted his knee, and we crumbled apart to end up missing our date in Nawla (I’m not glad that he busted his knee). I’m glad that Oregon and Coach Bellotti already secured two 4-star Athlete QB recruits, and as a result of our wide-open offense we are an enticing destination for Terrelle Pryor, the as yet to declare #1 recruit in the nation (depending on who you read).But can we please be real? Why if you are such a promising young talent would you doom yourself to a ceiling of College Lore? Because that’s what you’re doing if you opt to rely on your speed during your college years instead of refining your drop back skills, requiring yourself be become a good decision maker in the pocket. That’s great that you’re fast, and if you play in an option offense in High School and College you look like the only one with skates on a field of ice. Guess what, in the League (which I’m assuming is your ultimate goal), everyone has skates, everyone is fast, and no one (read: no one) runs an option offense. You want to really prepare yourself for a successful life versus a successful 3 years in college? Find a college that TEACHES you how to get better, and NOT one that changes the offense to fit you. Of course they’ll change their offense for you to capitalize on marginal defensive players, their job is to win now, and be attractive to young prospects. Their job is in no way dependent upon your success on the next stage.

8 Responses to “Open Letter to Terrelle Pryor”

1. positivewins said

This is not a good analysis. Pryor’s chances of making the NFL at quarterback - regardless of the college program he chooses or the offense it runs - are small. He is much more likely to be drafted and converted to wide receiver in the pros.

2. ruggedly said

Agreed. And though the change worked out okay for Hines Ward, most QB converts aren’t so successful. So if he wanted to increase his chances of staying at his natural position at the next level, he should probably go to UCLA, and unlike Vince Young, actually listen to Norm Chow.

3. Nathan said

I dont necessarily agree with this. It really hasnt been proven that a good passer in the spread offense cant make it in the pros. The current spread that all these teams are running is a new form of old rules. There really is no one formula that works, guys like Tim Couch who was a prototypical drop back passer with all the tools didnt make it a day. Michael Vick, who is a terrible passer, led his team the NFC championship game, and a couple of plays from the super bowl. In fact, you could argue, in college that Mcnabb was a run first guy. Only time will tell if any of the spread guys (ones who can actually throw) will make it in the nfl. On your Norm Chow note, look at Ty Detmer, complete bust, look at Leinert, he’s been below average for 2 years now. Palmer has decent numbers but also makes a lot of mistakes. I think making it in the nfl boils down to getting the right chance, at the right time, with the right system. I dont think Pryor would be any better off going to UCLA then he would OSU, MICH, or ORE (Ohio State has said they would run even more of a spread with Pryor than they did with Smith.)

4. ruggedly said

I don’t disagree with your points. Vick had the advantage though of getting to the Pro game and still being faster than everyone else on the field. The last couple of years, when scheming caught up to the grease lightning Vick, his deficiencies as a passer were magnified. This is where McNabb choosing Syracuse over Nebraska comes into play. He said he wanted to refine his passing skills with Tom Osborne instead of going to run heavy Nebraska.

You are right though, everything really is a crapshoot. You’re my boy Snakes!

5. BrutusBuckeye said

Why in THE HELL would he ever go to Oregon? IDIOTS…

6. Mike said

I agree, Pryor will not come to Oregon. And I also think Buckeye fans need to stop drinking the juice. Pryor is going to go to Michigan. Michigan has the athletes at key receiver positions, they have the same size market as Ohio St., and they have a head coach that has mastered the offense. I do agree that Pryor needs to develop an accurate passing game to be a good NFL quarterback. But if he can, (he has probably 3 years to do it), then he could be a very dangerous quarterback at the next level. I do think we need to see this guy make a college through before we determine if he has the accuracy and strength needed. Also, one thing he does have is length. He has the hight to see over defenders, which can helkp his developement. He’s going to see the field much easier than Troy Smith can.

7. Rich said

Why in the Hell would he go to Oregon. Let’s see, one of the best business school’s in the country and the birthplace of Nike, better athletic facilities than Ohio State, an offensive system that suites his talents, and a football program that continues to put q.b.’s in the NFL. Or he can go to Ohio State, play in one of the weakest conferences in the Country and lose another National Championship.

8. Mike said

Why?

Oregon is in a small market

Far from home

Already two committed athletic quarterbacks (I know he’d get top look, but he has no competition at all at Ohio St. or Michigan.

He’s not going to college for an education (He’s going for a paycheck in about 3 years)

He’s not going to be a business major (No Disrespect to Sociology majors, but about 2/3 of the football team and 75% of the starters gets they’re major there, and I expect him to as well)

He won’t graduate (What’s the point in picking education as a reason for going to school if you don’t plan on graduating?)

Nike? really? Nike is a business, and if he’s big time, I don’t think Nike will have any problem throwing money at him

Offensive system? That’s why I think he passes on Ohio St. But he sure isn’t going to Oregon. I think this is the major reason he picks Michigan. Rodriguez is a mastermind of the spread system, and he’ll mold it to fit Pryor. They have already been recruiting offensive weapons to fit the system. Michigan has all the advantages that an Ohio St team does on Oregon, plus this: “A better coach of the spread”

Lose a National Championship? What’s better winning a BCS game or losing the National Championship? I’ll take losing the National Championship any day of the week. Which at Michigan he has a better chance of getting to, being the quarterback at Michigan. Also, Michigan has some quarterbacks that have done alright in the pros. I’m sure we all heard of Tom Brady.

Look, I would love for Pryor to choose Oregon. But I think people need to be realistic. Oregon is not a big time school. Big Time Schools = Big Time Players. I don’t think Oregon ever becomes that power we all hope. There are just too many recruiting disadvantages.

1) Our location is far from many talent pools (except California, but they will mostly choose the LA schools)

Why? weather, location, and television

2) It’s even harder to claim Eastern talent, because then you have to throw in the distance from home. = pretty much no chance

Can we get some four stars? Yes. But the five stars, either have to be local, or we have to get extremely lucky.